Chilled Melon & Ginger soup
“I love to whip up a refreshing cold fruit soup. The coolness of the sweet melon pairs brilliantly with the fiery ginger in this recipe. Perfect for a starter or a light evening meal on a hot sunny day.”
This marvellous chilled Melon and Ginger Soup recipe is adapted from one I found online at EatingWell.com
One cantaloupe melon
1 teaspoon of orange blossom honey
- One to three thumbnails of fresh ginger (skin removed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Orange zest (no pith)
- The juice of a small orange
Juice of half a lemon
- One tablespoon to one full 100ml pot of greek yoghurt – or ordinary yoghurt if you don’t have a sweet tooth.
- Slivers of crystallized ginger, almond slices and a few shredded peppermint leaves to use as a garnish.
- Cut the melon, remove the seeds and threads.
- Scoop the melon flesh from the cantaloupe and put it straight into a liquidiser cup.
- Add the honey, orange zest, orange juice plus one of the thumbnails of ginger to the liquidiser cup.
- Blend to smooth and then taste (Keep adding more fresh ginger and reblending until you get a slightly stronger ‘kick’ than you’d like.)
- Pour the melon-ginger base into a bowl and add the yoghurt a spoonful at a time, stirring the soup thoroughly until you get the right consisitency and flavour balance. The yoghurt will cool down the ginger.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Stir thoroughly again
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 30 mintues.
- Serve in bowls or glasses with a sprinkling of chopped crystallized ginger, shredded mint leaves and a few slices of almonds.