Chilled Cucumber, Apple, and Mint Soup
“I remember having this cucumber soup at a lovely cafe near Cirencester. Hydrating and cleansing with all the benefits of the sweet cucumber playing off the tart apples. Fabulous. Perfect for a starter or a light evening meal on a hot sunny day.”
- 2 English cucumbers
- 2 Granny Smith apples cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp finely chopped peeled fresh ginger root
- 20 fresh mint leaves plus one additional leaf for each portion to be served
- 500 ml plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp whole french salt
- 60 ml chopped spring onions or chive tops
Adding more or less yoghurt really changes the consistency and sweetness of this soup. of this soup. This soup is wonderful, and adpatable to your particular tastes too.dd more or less ginger according to your own taste.
The soup should be eaten the day it is made.
- Remove the skin from the cucumbers. Slice the cucumber down the centre and use a teaspoon to scrape out any seeds. Discard seeds and skin. Cut each cucumber into chunks and put them in a blender.
- Dessed the apples and chop. Place in blender. Add the fresh ginger and mint leaves. Puree until smooth
- Add yogurt to the base a spoonful at a time, stir in well and then test to get the taste and texture you prefer.
- Add lemon juice and stir. Taste!
- Add the salt in 1/4 teaspoon measures. Stir and taste each time.
- Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until chilled.
- Stir through before spooning into serving glasses or small bowls.
- Garnish with a small sprinkle of chopped spring onions/chive tops